Friday 12 October 2012

Dumpling World

On the corner of Argyle and Liverpool streets you will find a favourite eatery of many Hobartians. Each day I walked past this corner shop I'd see a consistent following; office workers, hospital staff, a diverse crowd all sharing a passion for quality Asian takeaway. 

So, wanting to be fair and give an accurate portrayal of what Dumpling World has on offer; I decided that I'd go there every 'second' lunch break (just so I didn't sick of their meals) and tried something different off the menu. 

Here is what I came up with; Honey Barbecue Pork on rice, Braised Oyster Beef with vegetables, Pork Stir Fry Noodles, Potato Prawns, Char Siu Bao, Shao Mai, Steamed Custard Bun, Fried Wontons, Egg Fried Rice, Steamed Shrimp Dumplings, Pan fried dumplings. I must admit I avoided sampling soups and laksas just because I'm not a 'soup'-type.

The yum cha options (Char Siu Bao, etc.) are all expertly prepared. Generous in size and filled with quality ingredients. Behind the bain-marie you can spot the kitchen staff folding new dumplings and preparing the next days creations. My favourites would have to be the Shao Mai and the potato-wrapped prawns. However, the latter can be a little underdone in the 'potato section'. That being said, I'm happy to sacrifice crispiness if an overdone prawn is going to be the price. 

The main style dishes are all quite tasty. However, those with meat can tend to be on the oily side. Visiting outside the 'lunchtime rush' window appears to present a healthier serving. All in all, the char sui pork in the honey pork rice is tender and flavoursome; the oyster beef stir fry is full of fresh vegetables and flavour and the fried rice with egg is a good mix of clean flavours.

With many items between $9-15 you really can't go wrong; so next time you're in the Hobart CBD give Dumpling World a try on your next lunch/dinner break. 













Dumpling World on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment